Follow this blog on Twitter @realtalkblogs
There is a lot of talk about “vocation“, especially in relation to God’s plan for us. It can be confusing, but put simply, vocation isn’t just a ‘career choice’ or ‘relationship status’ (whether you’re married, single, or going into religious life); it’s being who you REALLY ARE and who you were MEANT TO BE.
The crucial part of living one’s vocation is seeing yourself and your existence as a GIFT. Your life is the way God wants to touch and heal the world. Your life is a gift that is meant to be shared with and received by others. Living out your vocation is about having conviction that everything about you–your talents, your struggles, your passions, your life story–has a divine purpose. Your vocation is about living out that purpose and celebrating it.
Naturally, nothing worthwhile comes without resistance. Often, the biggest obstacle to fulfilling our vocations is the belief that we are NOT ENOUGH; that our lives are pointless — the farthest thing from ‘gifts’.
It’s easy to feel like we need to be someone else to achieve our dreams, to be successful, or to be loved. We see the strengths of others and wish to replicate them, detesting the parts about ourselves that we think are ‘useless’ or ‘lacking’. We spend our time acquiring the attributes of others, neglecting our own strengths, interests, and dreams — the ones already built within us.
But know this: God designed you exactly as you are for a reason. He made no mistake. Everything about you — where you were born, the family you were born into, the struggles you’ve endured, the experiences you’ve had, the dreams in your heart, your talents, and even your personality — were designed to help you achieve your unique vocation.
And it really is unique. We all have some similarities, but no one is absolutely identical; there will never be another ‘you’ who’ll walk upon this earth. And neither will there be anyone else who can fulfill your SPECIFIC vocation the way YOU can. If you think you’re replaceable, think again.
INSPIRING QUOTES …
- “God doesn’t call us to become someone we’re not; He calls us to be the best versions of ourselves, living our giftedness in the world as Jesus did.”
- “Our unique gifts and personalities, our own distinctive personal histories and backgrounds, shape the way we see the world and what we can offer it.”
- “Discerning our vocation means discovering how God invites us to live out the gift of who we are in the world.”
- “Discernment is about developing a relationship with God so that we can see our lives as God sees it and desire for our life what God wants for us.”
- “The place God calls you is the place where your deep gladness and the world’s deep hunger meet.”